If you are enrolled in qualified High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) – either through your employer or you have purchase and individual policy – you are most likely eligible to open and contribute to an HSA. Additional eligibility criteria include:
- You must have a valid Social Security Number (SSN) and a primary residence in the U.S.
- You cannot be covered by any other type of health plan, including Medicare Part A or Medicare Part B.
- You cannot be covered by TriCare.
- You cannot have accessed your VA medical benefits in the past 90 days (to contribute to an HSA).
- You cannot be claimed as a dependent on another person’s tax return (unless it’s your spouse).
- You must be covered by the qualified HDHP on the first day of the month.